- Career Opportunities
- Senior Country Manager
Senior Country Manager
Vacancy Number: 31.05.2021
Application deadline: July 12, 2021
Reports to: Regional Director
The Senior Country Manager coordinates the identification, development, appraisal, approval and implementation of Public Sector projects. The position supports the development of policies and strategies in the portfolio-countries, as well as the achievements of the regional and departmental objectives and targets. The Senior Country Manager is responsible for identifying and recommending options and solutions for the optimum deployment of financing resources in the portfolio-countries, including the development, implementation and monitoring of country operational strategies and business plans. The incumbent reports to the Regional Director, and leads and oversees relations with the portfolio countries and other relevant partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy development and implementation
- Provides strategic input and comments on the region’s goals, development strategies and key result areas, in support of the strategic framework and the institutional policies.
- Coordinates, plans and oversees the implementation of the annual work plan for the portfolio, ensuring alignment with the regional and departmental objectives, targets and KPIs.
- Drafts, reviews and provides comments on policy, strategy and other thematic papers related to public sector development and operations issues.
- Leads and develops short and medium term objectives for the portfolio countries, supporting the achievement of the region’s targets.
- Coordinates the team (Economic, ESG, and legal specialists) for planning and programming purposes, particularly with respect to the preparation of country operation strategies, country business plans, safeguarding a healthy 3 year project pipeline in the portfolio countries, to support the achievement of the regional business plan.
Project cycle (Project development and processing)
- Leads the identification of a pipeline of projects and identifies opportunities through partner outreach and project screening.
- Leads and manages project appraisal, including technical, economic, and ESG analysis, as well as project administration design.
- Coordinates the internal approval process including project identification, preparation, concept and terms clearance, due diligence and appraisal, including interface with technical and loan committee, as well as management and the Governing Board.
- Ensures that legal documentation is successfully concluded (loan signed and declared effective) in a timely manner through negotiations with Government and partners with the support of the legal counsel.
- Oversees progress of project implementation, ensuring compliance with covenants, achievement of contract awards, and planned disbursements in order to achieve the envisaged project outcomes.
- Leads the implementation of projects, through providing guidance to project management teams and executing agencies to facilitate implementation, resolve implementation problems, as well as incorporating lessons learnt into the project implementation framework.
- Conducts regular assessments for portfolio countries, to develop practical and innovative solutions, especially for fragile and conflict countries, as well as those in arrears; and aligns the developed strategies in coordination with partners and other donors.
- Coordinates the procurement and disbursement processes for the project, insuring achievement of contract award, as well as successful disbursement.
- Provides guidance and support to the team responsible for disbursements and loan servicing (repayments), coordinating with Loan Management and Risk Management.
Capacity Building, Knowledge Sharing and Supervision
- Prepares and implements individual annual work program and budget (AWPB) for the assigned countries, including proposed missions and trainings.
- Contributes to institution building, and maintains and shares knowledge through active participation in task force groups and other meetings.
- Contributes to activities for advocacy, dissemination, and knowledge building relating to the strategic framework and the organization’s policies.
- Supervises and validates information entry into the Management Information System (MIS/ SAP/ EDMS), and makes recommendations for improving its functionality.
- Provides guidance, mentors and coaches newly appointed country managers, analysts, young professionals, and interns.
- Performs ad hoc tasks assigned by the Regional Director/ Assistant Director General PSOD.
Partners and Relationships Management
- Leads active relationships, and creates new partnerships with governments, executing agencies, partner institutions with the aim of expanding strategic partnerships in the portfolio countries.
- Maintains and fosters relationships with governments’ authorities, and DFIs to maximize potential for co-financing and catalyzing resources from partners.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Economics/ Finance and Banking/ Business Administration/ Engineering or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of eight years relevant professional experience.
- In addition, preferably 3-5 years in an international development institution.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Good working knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish is an added advantage.
- Demonstrable project management knowledge and organizational skills.
- Very good knowledge of and skilled in developmental projects appraisal.
- Demonstrable experience in socio-economic evaluation and impact analyses.
- Good knowledge of procurement procedures and processes.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.