- Career Opportunities
- Head, Development Effectiveness
Head, Development Effectiveness
Vacancy Number: 08.02.2021
Reports to: Sr. Dir., Strategic Planning and Economic Services Dept. (SPESD)
The Head, Development Effectiveness is responsible for the design, implementation and sustainability of the OPEC Fund’s development effectiveness framework, leading the design and implementation of strategies and tools for monitoring and evaluating the development effectiveness of the Fund’s various operations, in accordance with the departmental strategy and framework, in order to measure, monitor and improve the institution’s mission and impact.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the design and implementation of strategies and tools for monitoring and evaluating the development effectiveness of OPEC Fund operations.
- Leads the evaluation and monitoring of the development impact of public and private sector operations at various stages in the investment cycle.
- Oversees the compliance of the operational departments with agreed evaluation standards at each stage of the project life cycle (origination, preparation, implementation and evaluation).
- Supervises the preparation of periodic reports in relation to the development impact and effectiveness of public and private sector operations and acts as the chief assurance officer for the quality and accuracy of the development effectiveness reporting process.
- Leads quality assurance in terms of data accuracy, completeness, reliability and relevance for input into the monitoring and evaluation process.
- Supervises the provision of guidance to operational departments (PSOD and PSTFOD) on the monitoring and evaluation processes (including use of indicators, development impact tracking, project governance and project management tools).
- Facilitates the preparation of knowledge products focused on development effectiveness.
- Facilitates the inclusion of lessons learned into the design of new projects and provides advice for the implementation of ongoing projects.
- Designs the framework to promote and disseminate lessons learned from evaluations/monitoring data, engage operational departments to integrate lessons into project design and training materials.
- Designs evaluation and monitoring tools for projects in different segments / sectors and conduct baseline research and analysis.
- Provides input and comments on policy, procedural and other papers drawing from the sustainability, development impact of OPEC Fund operations.
- Leads the cooperation with other multilateral and bilateral development institutions/banks on development effectiveness matters.
- Collaborates with the Public Sector Operations Department, Private Sector Operations Department, the Grants and Technical Assistance Unit and the Communications Department of the OPEC Fund.
- Provides leadership to and manages the unit’s team of Development Impact Officers.
- Leads the working function by inspiring and motivating the Development Effectiveness team to maintain the highest level of engagement within the institution.
- Any other job as may be assigned by the Sr. Director, Strategic Planning & Economic Services.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Business Administration, Finance, Public Policy or related field.
- At least 10 years of experience in a monitoring and evaluation role in a private sector institution.
- Experience from a reputable development finance institution with a strong focus on sustainable development and development impact evaluation and monitoring.
- Excellent IT computer skills in all common applications required for word processing, data analytics, graphs, report preparation.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Arabic, German, Spanish, and/or French is an added advantage.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgments, and tact.
- Excellent information technology skills including relationship database programming and/or reporting skills.
- The capability to work under pressure with often challenging deadlines and competing priorities.
- Experience in working for an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong communication and advocacy skills, able to interface effectively. He/She should be able to demonstrate the ability to work with others, lead teams as well as build capacity.
- Clear understanding and experience of policies and procedures for corporate governance and business integrity.
- Knowledge of quality assurance policies and operational processes, and of monitoring and results tools of the OPEC Fund, other multilateral development banks or similar institutions. Solid understanding of results-based approach in an international development context.
- Experience in data management and analytics would be an asset.
- Customer-oriented, especially in the management of sensitive issues in a multicultural environment.