- Career Opportunities
- Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance Officer
Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance Officer
Vacancy Number: 08.02.2021
Reports to: Director, Strategic Planning (SPESD)
The Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (“ES&CG”) Specialist assesses, monitors and reviews projects, provides advice to the business and supports to the design and/or implementation of an environmental, social and corporate governance risk management framework, all in accordance with the departmental strategy and framework, in order to ensure compliance with ES&CG regulations and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses the environmental and social risks and impacts associated with OPEC Fund investments against OPEC Fund’s and international standards including IFC/World bank performance standards.
- Supports the design and/or implementation of an environmental, social and corporate governance risk management framework.
- Defines steps required to ensure compliance with the above standards, develops recommendations for client actions and drafts relevant project documentation.
- Carries sectoral and country portfolio reviews particularly with view to highlighting systematic compliance issues in the portfolio.
- Supervises the environmental and social performance of client companies through the review of monitoring reports and site visits to supervise environmental and/or social aspects of clients’ operations.
- Contributes to the review of the development impact of OPEC Fund operations as pertaining to ES&CG impacts.
- Provides training on environmental and social issues to OPEC Fund clients, operational staff and other specialists.
- The role requires the willingness and ability to travel frequently, sometimes to remote field locations with limited amenities.
- Contributes to the procurement of Lenders’/project level Environmental & Social Advisors and supervises their deliverables.
- Provides advice, input and/or comments on project, policy and other papers related to respective sector operations and development across a range of key themes and sectors.
- Undertakes corporate governance risk review of projects.
- Performs any other duty as may be assigned by Director, Strategic Planning.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Project Management or other relevant disciplines.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in assessing environmental and social aspects related to private sector business and across industry sectors including agribusiness, infrastructure and/or manufacturing.
- Experience from reputable development finance institution with a strong E&S practice.
- Excellent IT computer skills in all common applications required for word processing, data analytics, graphs, report preparation.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Arabic, German, Spanish, and/or French is an added advantage.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgments, and tact. He/She should be able to produce high-quality practical advisory reports and knowledge products.
- The aspirant should have the ability to combine deep-level knowledge with wider connections, understanding, and perspectives across the whole organization with the application of multiple relevant disciplines.
- Excellent information technology skills including relationship database programming and/or reporting skills.
- The capability to work under pressure with often challenging deadlines and competing priorities.
- Experience in working for an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong communication and advocacy skills, able to interface effectively. He/She should be able to demonstrate the ability to work with others, lead teams as well as build capacity.
- Clear understanding and experience of policies and procedures for corporate governance and business integrity.
- Strong in negotiation skills as well as ensures that the conversations continue and develop.
- A person who can translate the mission and vision of the OPEC Fund into a coherent and realistic framework.