- Career Opportunities
- Director, Strategic Planning
Director, Strategic Planning
Vacancy Number: 08.02.2021
Reports to: Sr. Director, Strategic Planning and Economic Services Dept. (SPESD)
The Director Strategic Planning assists the Senior Director, Strategic Planning and Economic Services (SPES) in the development, implementation, monitoring, review and refinement of OPEC Fund’s departmental strategy and plan, and manages data gathering, interpretation, and analysis regarding social, economic, sector, environmental, corporate governance and political developments and development of models and strategy documents, in accordance with the departmental strategy and framework, in order to ensure that these resources are optimised to address the needs of the institution and its strategic objectives. The Director also plays a pivotal role in designing and managing the annual work plan and budget for the department. This job may require some travel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Senior Director, Strategic Planning and Economic Services in coordinating the efforts towards designing the medium to long-term strategic direction of the OPEC Fund.
- Assesses the progress of the implementation of strategic plans.
- Leads the assessment of the strategic implications of various policy decisions, institutional reforms and initiatives.
- Leads the analysis of external trends to ascertain their implications on OPEC Fund strategy.
- Assists the Senior Director on matters related to policy developments, and on shaping the Fund’s response to emerging international issues.
- Develops and maintains strategy and policy papers.
- Manages the evaluation of OPEC Fund’s developmental impact during project origination, implementation and monitoring until full repayment/exit date.
- Contributes to shaping the Fund’s relationships with other multilateral development Banks, international organizations, and bilateral agencies at institutional level.
- Represents the department and OPEC Fund at key strategy meetings and on important missions when requested to do so by the Senior Director (SPES).
- Effectively oversees institutional knowledge management and partnership efforts, ensuring that these aligns with OPEC Strategic objectives including the demands of operational departments.
- Enhances the OPEC Fund’s value proposition to its partners (both private and public) by leveraging the Fund’s sector specialist and ESG services.
- Provides advice, recommendations and/or suggestions to the Senior Director (SPES) and other relevant stakeholders, for any improvement of the work efficiency and productivity.
- Carries out other tasks assigned by the Senior Director, (SPES).
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree or in economics, finance, strategy, business management or a related field.
- At least 10 years relevant professional experience, including at least 5 years at a managerial level and experience with large international development financed institution or international organisation.
- Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Arabic, German, Spanish, and/or French is an added advantage.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgments, and tact.
- Leads his/her team to develop robust strategies that relate to some of the primary objectives of the organization.
- Places emphasis on creating strategies that are focused on business model optimization.
- Designs strategies that redesign the organizations operating models.
- Creates as well as drives inspiring and collaborative productivity capabilities for strategy formulation.
- Leads his/her team to identify needs, conducting pre-project planning, as well as defining projects. He/she also drives the team to collect internal and external data, performing strategic analyses in identifying opportunities and developing implementation plans.
- Anticipate risk scenarios as well as suitable risk management strategies. The aspirant should also establish the KPIs that facilitate the analysis/measurement of the organization’s overall performance against the overall goals, objectives, targets and budget.