- Career Opportunities
- Climate Change Specialist
Climate Change Specialist
Vacancy Number: 1842
Deadline: October 3, 2023
The Strategic Planning and Economic Services provide relevant strategy, planning, economic and other important inputs that guide operational departments in the development of their work plans, and helps senior management decision-making processes that feed into overall strategy development. The role will entail significant involvement in the development of the OPEC Fund’s short and long-term strategies on climate change, contribute to work on sectoral policies and support the climate financing agenda of the Fund and actively explore opportunities to contribute to climate adaptation, resilience and mitigation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Policy assurance and review
- Conducts review of the Climate Action Plan of the OPEC Fund, deciphers the objectives in to actionable items and provides guidance to the Investment teams accordingly with reference to its application in different financing activities and updates it from time to time to ensure the alignment with the most recent developments in the area.
- Work with peers of other Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) and multilateral climate finance institutions to develop a framework for Paris Alignment.
- Prepares a guideline for climate risk screening of projects.
Review and assessment
- Responsible for the implementation of the objectives of the Climate Action Plan of the OPEC Fund and ensuring that all related financing projects are subjected to climate proofing.
- Reviews whether projects are eligible for climate adaptation and if needed work with the Investment team and Borrower to explore possibilities of conducting climate vulnerability exercises for climate adaptation.
- Determines whether projects are eligible for climate mitigation and subsequently work on accounting for climate mitigation.
- Develops templates for reviewing projects for climate resilience, adaptation and mitigation.
- Stays abreast with the methodologies used in the Joint MDB Framework and the work conducted by United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Joint MDB Framework on Climate Finance activities.
- In cooperation with the Senior Advisor, ESG participates in international platforms and events on Climate Change and maintains active relationships, and creates new partnerships.
- Prepares guidance notes on climate finance accounting.
- Reviews and update Climate Action Plan for the OPEC Fund on an annual basis.
- Reviews project risk due to climate change impacts.
Information and business advice
- Assist Senior Advisor, ESG for capacity building of internal and external stakeholders.
- Undertakes training on Climate Change related thematic issues and participates in international platforms including UNFCCC on Climate Change issues.
Stakeholder management and engagement
- Represents OPEC Fund at select external industry events and builds relationships with external experts and energy clients.
- Promotes cross practice collaboration within the OPEC Fund as well as liaising with international and multilateral climate finance institutions such as UNFCCC on Climate Change.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Master’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, or a related field.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience particularly in climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, climate change policy, climate finance and/or climate mainstreaming in project development work.
- Experience in working on climate change assessments and accounting for climate finance is desirable.
- Experience of working on climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, climate change policy, climate finance and/or climate mainstreaming in project development work related to developing countries is desirable.
- Fluent in English. A good working knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish will be an added advantage.
- Technical competency in Climate Change risk assessment and accounting climate adaptation and mitigation is essential.
- Technical competency in policy work on Climate Risk vulnerability analysis and mitigation measures.
- Solid experience of international climate negotiations, policy and best practice related to Climate Change and accounting methodologies.
- High initiative and ability to work independently, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork, and analytical skills with a high level of integrity and drive for achieving results.
- Demonstrable ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.